I've been baking cookies today. I enjoy cooking so much. It lets you get your mind off things and you get to work with your hands. :)
Here's the recipe...
There is no name for this. They were called pecan cookies but since I add no pecans I guess they don't have a name anymore. We just call them THE cookies. And I changed the recipe to be healthier and so you might not have some of the ingredients. Just improvise.
Ingredients -
1 C. honey
1 C. butter, softened
1 t. vanilla
1 C. mixed flour
1 C. whole wheat flour
1 C. spelt flour (the ancestor of wheat - the happy grain)
1/2 C. undutched cocoa powder (optional - if you do this, decrease the whole wheat flour by 1/2 C.)
1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 C. chocolate chips
Instructions -
#1 rule of baking - wash your hands!
After you have accomplished the first rule, add honey and butter in mixing bowl and beat by hand (or on medium-high speed with beater, I prefer by hand since it's just one less thing to clean) until fluffy.
Add vanilla and stir in.
Next add all the dry ingredients and mix well (I have a hard time mixing it with a fork and so, my confession, I mix it with my hands. I do wash them really well before I cook, I promise!).
Then add chocolate chips and mix them in well.
After it is all mixed well, roll them into balls, put them on a cookie sheet and bake them for 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees, until they are the way you like them. I like mine a little doughy so I bake mine for 5-6 minutes. Bake them longer or shorter, as you wish.
Just a few explanations -
* We use mixed grain with our whole wheat because whole wheat anything tends to be really heavy so we add mixed grain to lighten it up. (see alexsrecipes.blogspot.com for more info on the mixed grain mix)
* We usually make a double batch of plain and a double batch of chocolate (to make plain don't add the cocoa powder. to make the chocolate, just add the cocoa powder). I know that's alot but we freeze about half of it. They go really fast when you have 8 people in the family. And I make them both AT THE SAME TIME! :)
* Baking, at our house, is not a science. It's amazing we actually have a recipe for this. It's usually "a pinch of this" or "a dash of that".
* We make our own chocolate chips. But that's for another time...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




I'll have to try these on Sunday! They look delicious! Do you use regular chocolate chips, or are they carob?
ReplyDelete-Sarah