Here is the first part of the story...
It was about 2 weeks before the seminary graduation. Ali had given a talk for hers and I thought it would be kinda fun if I gave one too but since it was really close I thought "there is no way I'm going to do anything." So I wasn't expecting anything. Well, next thing I know I get a call from this girl who I have no clue who she was and she asks me to play a musical number for the graduation. I seriously didn't know what to think (or say). I'm sure I was silent for at least a whole ENTIRE minute as I thought about what she was telling me and what to say. So I told her yes (very hesitantly) and told her I would call her to tell her what song I would play.
I scrounged around looking for something to play. I finally picked a piece that was fairly easy because I knew that would probably be so nervous that I could hardly play it and also because it was the song that I could be the most expressive in. After I found the piece I was going to call the girl but because I was in so much shock when I got the call, I could not remember her name and couldn't find her number. So I had to call a counselor in the Stake Presidency to get her info. I didn't feel too confident with the piece because when I played it, it was only about about 2 1/2 minutes long. So I asked him if it would be okay so short. He asked what it was and I told him "I Know that My Redeemer Lives". He told me, in his quiet, calm voice, "that will be wonderful." I can't tell you how happy those few words made me feel.
So, I called her, got everything in order and it was about a week before the big event. I was so nervous! Every time I practiced the piece I would just shake and, oh, it was so bad. I thought I would not even play one right note. But I knew that God would help me. He could help me play it well and He could give me comfort, confidence and peace. I prayed so hard. I prayed that I would be able to perform well and to help those I played for feel the Spirit and my testimony. I worked on the piece so much but I felt so inadequate. I got a father's blessing and felt alot better. But when I practiced it I would still get so nervous and played so poorly. I knew that I had worked hard, maybe not all I could have, but hard. I had prayed about it and I had gotten a blessing and so all I could do now was to trust. So I trusted in God with everything. I put my all in His hands and went forward.
That night as I practiced I still was so nervous. We had a little mix-up with the time so when I thought I was going about 15 minutes early to play on the piano, I actually was an hour and 15 minutes early. I sat on the stand for about an hour before it started and it kinda helped me de-stress a little to see all the people and get used to their faces. I was first on the program, which was a blessing in and of itself. When I sat down on the bench I felt calm and peaceful. I started playing and it went so well. I think I only played about 1 wrong note. I felt like it went so quickly. And, oh, it went so well. When I sat down, the girl I was sitting next said it was just beautiful. Afterwards so many people told me that it was wonderful. One lady from our stake, who is really musically talented, came up and told me that she just had to sit back, close her eyes and soak it in. That is was truly beautiful. I know that God was there with me, playing with me. I could not have to done it half as well if He had not helped me. I was so happy. My Father in Heaven is so good to me.
I like the song I played best because I felt like that was my testimony. I do know that Christ lives. I had just read in the Book of Mormon about when Christ came to the Americas. As I played I could just see that. I could feel how much He loves me. How He loves us all and cares for us all "one by one." That song was my testimony of Him. I'm glad that it's over but so glad that I was able to have this experience.
tomorrow I'll get the next part




No comments:
Post a Comment