Friday, May 8, 2009

- The Dandelion War -
I'm in a war. My opponent is very small yet very powerful. It may seem sweet and docile but don't be deceived, this enemy is not one to mess with. It has the ability to multiply very quickly and so you must imagine my great alarm to best this beast whilst I still can. This great enemy is... the dandelion.
{Now, don't get me wrong. I like dandelions... in their place. They are very cute and have many useful purposes. For instance, young dandelion leaves are used in salads. The root is very medicinal. You can even use dandelion milk (the runny white stuff) on cuts or scrapes. It is a very wonderful plant, but not when it covers the whole lawn. Now back to my tale... }
And so yesterday I took is upon myself to dig all the dandelions out of my section of the lawn. I used my faithful and trusty dandelion weeder - which I dubbed Zahir (pronounced zah-HEER and which means "helper or supporter" in Arabic). It took us over an hour but in the end, we succeeded! As in all great battles, we had a rather large pile of deceased dandelions. Not wanting them to decay on the lawn, we fed them to the fowl of the air (aka - the chickens).
And so this is the tale of my war with the dandelions. It is far from over. In fact, it has just begun. We have yet to see who shall be the victor in this great battle. And this summer shall go down in history as "the year of the dandelion war".

My grand feat - conquer the dandelions
My weapon - Zahir
The great pile of the deceasedThe fowl enjoying their feast

3 comments:

  1. Good luck in your dandelion war.

    You can save the dandelion greens to make dandelion pasta and the dandelion roots can be roasted to make a tea like drink.

    Belle

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is something about popping dandies...I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mackenzie!!! how could you kill all those beautiful flowers???? they are edible you know. the flowers taste sooo good when you fry them up as fritters.
    I am appaled;)
    Whitney

    ReplyDelete